Cheese enchiladas are delicious and meatless Mexican dishes that you can make quickly. The authentic cheese enchiladas recipe should use white corn tortillas. However, if you prefer flour tortillas, they also taste great.
Here, we also include tasteful homemade sauce recipe to make your enchiladas more special. The homemade red sauce gives a bold original flavor to this simple quick meal. Take notes for things and methods of this following cheese enchiladas recipe.
Easy Steps to Make Cheese Enchiladas
- 15 ounces homemade red enchilada sauce
- 12 ounces freshly grated queso Chihuahua cheese.
- 8 ounces freshly grated sharp white cheddar cheese.
- 14 corn tortillas (4-inch size)
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup sliced radish
- 1 cup lime wedges
- Make homemade red enchilada sauce. Ingredients and methods are below.
- Prepare 9×13 inch baking dish and grease with nonstick spray.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Pour half cup of homemade enchilada sauce into greased baking dish.
- Spread the sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Use a large plate to put 1/3 cup enchilada sauce.
- Warm both sides of tortilla on a hot skillet.
- Take one piece of tortilla and dip into the sauce on the plate. (This step seems difficult for some people. An easier way is by spreading sauce on tortillas with a brush.)
- Fill in a tortilla with both grated cheeses.
- Roll up tortilla tightly and do similar way to remaining tortillas.
- Arrange rolls of tortilla in baking dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce to cover tortillas.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted for about twenty minutes.
- Add fresh cilantro, sour cream, sliced radish, and lime wedges as toppings.
Make Your Own Delicious Homemade Red Enchiladas Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Set a large saucepan on medium heat and add olive oil.
- Put the flour in a saucepan and cook until it becomes golden brown. (about 2 minutes)
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients ( chicken stock, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper)
- Keep whisking the mixture and bring it to a simmer.
- Reduce to low heat and cook for five minutes.
- Set aside the red sauce and use it to make cheese enchiladas.
Useful Tips for Enchiladas
- Serving suggestion: Serve with salsa, healthier refried beans, homemade Mexican rice, tres leches cake, and cilantro-lime-cauliflower rice.
- Freeze option: It is better to cover and freeze enchiladas before baking. To serve, take some in fridge overnight. Start baking after 30 minutes removed from fridge.
- Perfect cooking tools for collection: The best tools for making this recipe are skillet (for frying tortillas), tongs (for turning hot tortillas in oil), and 9×13 inch pans with plastic lids, gratin dishes, and meal prep boxes.
How tasty does homemade enchilada sauce look? It so yummy, isn’t it? Don’t miss out big time. Making cheese enchiladas recipe with your homemade sauce sounds perfectly delicious. So, will you try this recipe?